Sunday, May 9, 2010

SUPER OVER !


[I have thought about posting this one for nearly 10 days...Finally i have got enough time for it.]
For some people, cricket is life...but trust me, the reverse can happen also..!!
Life appeared to me like cricket..!!..It seemed as if i were the batsman who was facing the superover in a T-20 match..!!
I will try to elaborate and explain whatever i felt so that you can understand everything even if you are not part my college ...
Finally,our end-sem arrived...!!..Its not like it was unexpected,but the semester had been long and eventful.I was desparetely waiting for the exams to be over so that i could come to my home...!!..I know you all share the same experience..
Frankly speaking,this time i was very careless about the exam.I now feel i should have studied atleast 'something' so that i would not have to face that type of situation at the time of the paper.I was under-prepared and a little nervous.But unfortunately i was still careless! We had six papers...I felt i had nothing left but to face the six deliveries one after another!
So,the game began.....
#BALL-1
First paper was Operating Systems.The syllabus was vast and so was the question paper!
I just had only one day before the exam to 'read the line and length of the ball'...So i could just manage to push for a single...but,alas! i ran short of time..!! (i cldn't finish the paper in time).So, i got run-out on the very first ball of the match...
scoreboard -over 0.1 ... run-0 ... wicket-1
#BALL-2
I wish a new batsman came to the crease after i got out.But the rules were a little different.I had to face all the deliveries...More importantly,there were six different bowlers for six balls this time...
I had a 2 day break.That means i got enough time to judge the line and length.But the bowler was very clever and cruel (VLSI).The ball was pitched up.So i just tried to hit it for a six! But i couldn't hit from the middle of the bat, the ball was top-edged and i got caught at the boundary...
scorecard: over-0.2 ... run-0 ... wicket-2
#BALL-3
The third paper was FOCS(fiber optics communication system).There was no break before it.The ball came fast,real fast,also at a yorker length.I was clueless about what to do...Result-bowled!
scorecard after half the over-run-0 ... wicket-3
#BALL-4
I was really frustated.When i looked at the scorecard,it deeply hurted me.I was batting at 'zero' with three wickets down! But i tried to gather myself...the only positive thing i could see was that it was not a hatrick as one run-out was there! So i told myself whatever comes my way,i will first watch the ball carefully and then play with a straight bat applying my own techniques...I prepared myself in that one day gap...
The exam hours came...the bowler(Industrial Electronics) started taking his run-up.I watched carefully.I felt like facing him before (Basic Electronics)...the ball was released from his arms...i watched and watched till it came to my bat...i played straight...thank God! it was a boundary!
The batsman gets all his confidence back when he plays such type of strokes,especially the straight drive!I was feeling relieved..
scorecard finally started moving:over-0.4,run-4,wicket-3
#BALL-5
I was prepared for this delivery also(digital signal processing).I also had got back my own confidence.I again started concentrating at the ball.Bowler was clever.He bowled a well-disguised slow delivery(slow bcz-dsp paper was unexpectedly on theoretical/slow side).I watched properly and managed a late-cut.The ball pierced the fielders and again a boundary!
score:over-0.5 ... score 8 ... wickets 3
#BALL-6
Final bowler was a spinner(computer communication networks).You never know in which way the ball would turn.I thought about hitting a six in the last delivery so that i could end up scoring a respectable total, putting some challenge before the opposition.
I got two day gap.But in the practice session,i got little injured.Still i thought i could go for the full monty.Finally the ball arrived.I could read it was a doosra.But this time the pitch behaved awkwardly.There was uneven bounce.I slapped hard at the ball...But still it is in the air!I dont think it will cross the boundary...But i hope it lands in safe zone so that i can take 2 runs to move the score-card to double digits!
Still waiting for the umpire's signals(results)!
OOhhhh....!!
Finally,it's over...my job is done...I dont know if i ve put enough on the board...but i am happy that the over is over now...
Trully speaking,i really enjoyed playing!You never know when life will throw a bouncer at you.Be prepared for every thing...More importantly,enjoy the game called LIFE...!!

2 comments:

  1. @Abhijit...
    Kudos to u....Superb Writing......
    I nearly felt it was my own biography. Well Never mind. One day I will have one...
    The whole metaphor is absolutely real. But what you forgot to mention was your lack of concentration even before VLSI paper. Because even while you were on the crease your eyes were on the IPL score board, erected on a field adjacent to ur battle field...
    So oviously loss of conc. and lo there was a smart CATCH...........

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Niharika
    amazing yaar...you r absolutely ryt...!!
    the batsman went to a near-by stadium to watch another big-buck-match missing his own practice session and got back frustated when his favourite team lost...:(
    newaz,the batsman has learnt a lot...!!

    ReplyDelete